piSignage is a complete digital signage solution powered by Raspberry Pi. The following post describes in detail how to install piSignage image on Raspberry Pi and get started with piSignage by connecting to pisignage.com.
1. Download piSignage image to your PC
Download the complete piSignage player image, and unzip the file.
2. Writing Image to SD card
Write the image to a class 10 SD card (minimum 8
GB) using one of the following tools.
- For Linux
Use Image Writer
- For MAC
Use Apple pi Baker
- For Windows Use Win32DiskImager utility in administator mode.
- Etcher can be used to write image using Mac OS, Linux and Windows and is the easiest option for most users.For more Information on image Installation refer here. Make sure while you follow the procedure given in the previous link use the Image provided by us.
Insert the SD Card with piSignage Image into the Raspberry Pi And we have your piSignage player ready.The player needs to be connected to internet to reach pisignage.com server. Once you register your player at pisignage.com, The player can be controlled remotely from Intuitive UI of pisignage.com.
Internet Connection can be accessed via Ethernet cable or using Wi-Fi. If you have connected the player to internet via ethernet Cable and intend this as a default method to connect to pisignage.com, then skip to Register player. To connect the player to network via Wi-Fi, Follow the instructions given below.
3.Wi-Fi Configuration in Raspberry Pi to Connect to Network
Connect the power Source to power ON the Player. Raspberry Pi does not have a separate button on the player for Power On/Off functions. Now There are two ways to configure Wi-Fi Setup for the player.
- Connect a USB Keyboard to the player. Press Ctrl+N or F6.
- Scroll down to wifi config and enter.
- Enter wifi name and password.
- Select Finish.
Once This is done the player will Reboot. Now You can Register the player, logging into your account at pisignage.com.
You can Configure Wifi via player interface in the browser if you can connect the player to network via ethernet.(Do not confuse this with connecting to pisignage.com with ethernet. This is just a one time ethernet connection required to Configure WiFi in the player, using Graphical player Interface via the browser).
- Go to http://your-player-ip-address:8000 from your browser, preferably Chrome. (Your-player-ip-address will be displayed on the screen when you connect the player to network via ethernet. Reboot may be required for IP to show, Just remove and plug in back the power source for this).
- Enter both the user name and password as pi
- Go to settings.
- Scroll Down to Wifi Setting.
- Enter the wifi details and save.
- Leave all the entries as it is .You can now close the tab and remove ethernet, as your player is ready for network connection via Wifi. Now you can register your player at pisignage.com , with player id (displayed on screen) to manage your players from the cloud.
You need to create an account by freely Signing up at pisignage.com. If you have signed up already just login. With every Signup, You get 3 managed licences (3 player licences + hosting service for the three players at pisignage.com for one year) absolutely free . When you register a player, The licence is automatically downloaded to the player in case of first 3 players and you get 12 credits per player, to manage it for 12 months.The SignUp process is seamless and we do not ask for any credit card Information.
- Go to players in the left panel and select register a player.
- Enter the 16 digit player Id(on device or tv screen), leave the group to as it is.Make sure you have selected the managed box.(License only option is for open source implementation.)
- Enter a player name and location for your operational convenience.
- Select register and a licence is downloaded to the player. The players section shows all your registered players. For buying additional licences instruction given below.
Note - We are coming up with a new UI design and features which are in beta phase. Choose UI as per your preference. Select the settings on the left panel and scroll down to choose.
Note: In case in future, if the SD card does not boot and stops after showing lot of text messages i.e if SD card is corrupt, Just write a fresh image of piSignage to the SD card again as explained above. Re-registering the player is not needed.
5.Flexible Pricing after 3 free players
If you want to more players , you will have to buy managed license for 45 USD going to Subscription/licence page.
We have a flexible pricing structure for piSignage.
- Every time you buy a managed licence for 45 USD you get one player licence and 12 credits to manage player from the cloud.
- If you go for Subscription renewal for USD 20 you get 12 credits. These 12 credits can be flexibly used to manage one player for 12 months or 2 players for 6 months or 3 players for 4 months etc.
- You can buy player licences only for USD 25 by directly writing to us.(Applicable only for Open Source implementation or when you want to set your digital signage locally, controlling Individual player through its graphical interface via browser). You can also learn more about pricing here. You can also refer to the documentation for Tech details.
Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any assistance or to order prebuilt piSignage image SD card.